This year, I am going to make an even more concerted effort to do two things.
The first, is to pack my own lunches instead of spending an absolutely disgraceful amount of my salary on fancy sarnies. The second, which has grabbed my attention again after Hugh FW’s recent #WasteNot campaign & TV program, is to waste less food – especially since I do still find myself having to throw the odd floppy lettuce or mouldy block of cheese in the bin. I should imagine that the one goal will go hand in hand with other quite nicely, which should make things easier!
In the spirit of starting as I mean to go on, I rustled up a lovely dinner this evening, made up entirely of leftover bits, and stuff I had sitting in the cupboards / freezer. In the hope that it might give you some good ideas of your own this January, I thought I would share it with you – enjoy!
Thai-Curried-Rice Lettuce Wraps with Edamame
- Cooked Brown Rice (which I had in the fridge, leftover from a Christmas turkey curry)
- Green Thai Curry Paste (again, I had half a jar leftover in the fridge)
- 2 Tbsps Coconut Oil (always in my cupboard)
- 1 Clove of Garlic (always in my cupboard)
- 1 Lime (leftover from Gin & Tonic consumption over Christmas)
- 2 Mini Gem Lettuces (sitting in my fridge, untouched until now)
- Splash of Coconut Milk Drink (my current non-dairy milk of choice, so already in the fridge)
- Garden Peas (you could use frozen, but I had some cooked ones left over from a salmon dish I had made for my parents)
- Baby Corn & Green Beans (sitting in my fridge as yet untouched – you could use whatever veg you have that needs using up – cooked or raw)
- Couple of Handfuls of Frozen Edamame, still in pods (found these in Tesco recently, love that I can have these at home!)
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and add the garlic. Fry until soft.
- Add in the raw veg you are using – in my case, the green beans and baby corn, to soften.
- Scoop in the Thai Green Curry Paste and heat for a few minutes to release the flavours.
- Add the cooked brown rice and make sure that it all gets heated thoroughly and is piping hot!
- Strip the leaves off your lettuces, ready to serve as ‘boats’ for your rice.
- Tip the frozen edamame in to a steamer or blanche for a couple of minutes in boiling water.
- Add a splash of coconut milk drink and the juice from half a lime to the rice, stir through and serve in a sharing bowl that people can take their own servings from, alongside the lettuce ‘wraps’.
- Serve the edamame with a generous sprinkling of chilli flakes, black pepper and sea salt.
- Add sriracha sauce, wedges of lime and soy to the table, and let everyone dig in – keep plenty of napkins nearby!