This week, Waitrose launched their #AutumnWarmers advertising campaign which looks to celebrate quality British produce; in particular, how it can cheer your soul on even the coldest and most blustery of Autumn days.
As part of the campaign, they asked me to share one of my favourite Autumn recipes. Regular followers of my blog would probably be expecting some kind of veggie chilli (seeing as I don’t eat meat very often) but being from Wales, this seemed like a perfect opportunity to cook something lovely using some home-grown Welsh lamb (in season until late Autumn).
This recipe is super easy to cook, and the cinnamon and red wine flavours in the roast potatoes will make you feel seriously cosy. Enjoy 🙂
Lamb cutlets with kale and herby roast potatoes
- 8 Welsh lamb cutlets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil , plus extra for the lamb
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 handful fresh thyme leaves
- 1 kg waxy red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 small glass red wine
- 4 handfuls fresh kale
- 1 lime
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Drizzle the cutlets with olive oil and sprinkle over a pinch of salt, black pepper, chilli flakes and the thyme leaves. Give the cutlets a massage then leave to rest.
- Cut the potatoes into large, even-sized chunks and place in a pan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and leave to steam dry. Meanwhile, crush the coriander seeds with the cinnamon in a pestle and mortar.
- Tip the potatoes into a roasting tray and crush them slightly. Sprinkle over the crushed coriander seeds and the cinnamon powder. Drizzle over the olive oil and pour in the small glass of red wine. Roast for 40 minutes, turning them half way through.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, fry the kale for 10 minutes in a large wok with a drizzle of olive oil, and the juice of the whole lime.
- Get the griddle pan hot and griddle the cutlets to your liking, for 5 to 8 minutes, turning them halfway through. Spoon out a couple of teaspoons of lamb fat and add to the frying kale.
- Drain the kale and plate up. Serve the cutlets on top with the roast potatoes on the side.
Click here to see more Autumn recipe inspiration from Waitrose, or follow #AutumnWarmers on Twitter to see what other people are cooking.