Mac ‘n’ Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. It’s never going to win any awards for its health benefits, but at least with the addition of kale and leeks, you’ll be getting 2 of your 5 a day! Plus, it’s winter, you’re supposed to be getting some extra padding anyway…
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 handfuls of chopped kale
- 2 leeks, diced
- 50g organic unsalted butter*
- 50g plain flour
- 1 pint organic semi-skimmed milk*
- salt and black pepper to season
- 200g organic mature cheddar cheese, grated*
- 150 – 200g macaroni pasta
*I have specified using organic dairy products as it is the kindest method of dairy production, but you can use regular dairy products if you wish.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
- In a separate pan, crush and fry the garlic, and sautee the leeks and kale until soft. In a third pan, cook the macaroni according to the pack instructions.
- Simmer the sauce gently for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and black pepper (I like LOTS of pepper)
- Stir in cheese and allow to melt slowly, stirring all the while.
- Once melted, combine with the kale, leeks and macaroni.
- Either serve immediately, or transfer to a baking dish, top with extra cheese and bake in a hot oven for 15 minutes until golden and crispy on top.