Macaroni Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. It’s not a great meal if you’re watching the calories, but at least with the addition of kale and leeks, you’ll be getting 2 of your 5 a day! Plus, it’s winter, you’re supposed to be getting some extra padding anyway…
Ingredients to make macaroni cheese with leeks & kale
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 handfuls of chopped kale
- 2 leeks, diced
- 50g organic unsalted butter*
- 50g plain flour
- 1 pint organic semi-skimmed milk*
- salt and black pepper to season
- 200g organic mature cheddar cheese, grated*
- 150 – 200g macaroni pasta
*I have specified using organic dairy products as it is the kindest method of dairy production, but you can use regular dairy products if you wish.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
- In a separate pan, crush and fry the garlic, and sautee the leeks and kale until soft. In a third pan, cook the macaroni according to the pack instructions.
- Simmer the sauce gently for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and black pepper (I like LOTS of pepper)
- Stir in cheese and allow to melt slowly, stirring all the while.
- Once melted, combine with the kale, leeks and macaroni.
- Either serve immediately, or transfer to a baking dish, top with extra cheese and bake in a hot oven for 15 minutes until golden and crispy on top.
Like this Macaroni Cheese recipe? Pin it on Pinterest: