In the spirit of trying – as always – to eat less meat, I’m on the hunt for some great vegetarian dishes to make this summer as I am getting a bit tired of my go-to halloumi and veg kebabs (as delicious as they may be).
This Mexican-Greek fusion recipe from TV chef Dean Edwards is quick, super simple and when cooked, the quesadilla can easily be shared among a group of people – perfect for a summer BBQ, simply serve with lots of cold beer!
- 240g baby spinach
- 120g feta cheese crumbled
- 60g pine nuts toasted
- 6 x spring onions finely sliced
- 1 x egg, beaten
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Small grating nutmeg
- Juice ½ lemon
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 120g cheddar cheese grated
- Place the spinach into a large pan over a medium heat and cover with a lid
- Wilt down the spinach, strain and squeeze out the excess water, then leave to cool before chopping roughly
- Add the feta, pine nuts, spring onions, eggs, oregano, nutmeg and lemon juice and mix well. Season with salt and pepper
- Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds.
- Divide the spinach mixture on top of 4 tortillas, spreading into an even layer, sprinkle over the Cheddar cheese and then top each with another tortilla
- Wrap in Bacofoil until fully enclosed, then pop onto the BBQ for 4-5 minutes each side, turning regularly (wrappig them in foil stops the cheese oozing out all over your BBQ).
- Unwrap the parcels and cut each quesadilla into 6. Enjoy with a Greek salad and cucumber tzatziki.