Episode four of Hank! – our podcast for food lovers in Cardiff – is now live!
In this episode, we head down to Cardiff’s award-winning Riverside Farmer’s Market to join in with their 20th anniversary celebrations.
The Riverside Story
Back in 1998, Riverside Market started with a group of traders in Riverside’s Despenser Gardens, who gathered just once a month to sell their goods. However, it soon became clear that there was a growing interest in the provenance of food, and people wanted to be able to buy locally produced food more regularly. As a result, the market became weekly, and moved to its current location opposite the then newly-built Millennium Stadium.
As Riverside Market grew, Riverside Real Food (the social enterprise which was set up to manage the market) set up a sister market in Roath, which recently celebrated its tenth anniversary, and a Friday market in Rhiwbina.
The Market itself has twice been a finalist in the Radio 4 Food and Farming Awards, and has been awarded many other prizes and commendations over its two decades. Loads of my favourite independent Cardiff businesses have used the markets to help build their little empires, including the likes of Dusty Knuckle, Pettigrew Bakeries, Crafty Devil, Mr Croquewich and Untapped Brewing Co.
Listen to the podcast:
We had so much fun recording this episode whilst eating and drinking our way around the market, chatting to the traders about the anniversary and soaking up the community atmosphere. You can listen on iTunes and all the usual pod-catchers, or by clicking here:
Featured in this episode:
- Steve Garrett: Founder of the Riverside Markets & Community Garden.
- John Thomas: One half of Penrhiw Organic meat farm, who have traded at the market since day one.
- Tom Frost: Owner of Blaencamel Organic Vegetable farm & boxes.
- Chef Grady Atkins: One third of Bodloni, a new company creating instant soups made from the market’s surplus unsold veg.
- Gareth Davies: Founder of Let Them See Cake, who chose the 20th anniversary to make his market debut. He also handmade the incredible 20th anniversary cake you can see at the top of this blog post!
Please do let us know what you think of this episode in the comments below, or by tweeting us @hungrycityhippy and @mattappleby using #hankcardiff. If you are enjoying the podcast please subscribe and leave us a review, as it really helps.
Thanks for listening! 🙂