Most of us would like to be eating more locally grown, seasonal produce, but this can be quite a challenge during the winter months when the chilly British climate means that some of our favourite ingredients are less readily available.
Happily, that’s not the case with the humble leek. This hardy green vegetable is at its best during the coldest months of the year, is fantastically versatile, and can add flavour and bite to a wide range of savoury dishes.
As part of a recent #paidpartnership with british-leeks.co.uk I worked with local chef Laura Graham of The Tidy Kitchen Company and asked her to come up with a range of delicious dishes to showcase the British leek at its best.
Her first creation was a delicious Caramelised Leek Tart (you can find that recipe here).
Next up, I asked Laura to suggest a dish fit for a special occasion or a slap-up Sunday Lunch. Here she shares her recipe for an easy vegan beetroot welly with mushrooms and British leeks.
The Tidy Kitchen’s Vegan Beetroot Wellington (Serves 6)
Approx prep time: 1 hr (including chilling time) / Cooking time: 35 – 40 minutes
- 1 pack of Jus Rol puff pastry
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x shallots finely chopped
- 4 x pre-cooked beetroot, kept whole
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 100g barley, cooked
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 190c (fan assisted) / 200c (non-fan).
- Cook barley as per packet instructions and allow to cool
- Sweat leeks and shallots in olive oil until softened for approximately 10 minutes on low heat
- Add finely chopped mushrooms and cook until any moisture has evaporated – about 6 minutes
- Add chopped garlic and fry for 2 minutes, taking care not to burn
- Add herbs and stir to combine
- Add to cooked and cooled barley and mix
- Sprinkle flour on the table and roll out pastry until it measures a 30cm x 40cm rectangle
- Add the pearl barley, mushroom and leek mix to the centre of the pastry and press the whole beetroot on top.
- Wrap the pastry over the top and press together with a fork to seal, trim off any excess
- Brush with almond milk
- Place on baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and cook in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and firm all over
- Remove from oven and leave to cool slightly before slicing
Serving suggestion: serve with roasted potatoes, steamed veg and a quick onion gravy.