I’ve long been a cheerleader for eating organic; in the face of climate change, rising diet-related ill-health and a widespread decline in wildlife, the need to produce healthy food, cut greenhouse gas emissions, and protect wildlife is more pressing than ever.
There is no magic bullet to tackle the many challenges that face us, but the buying decisions we make every day have an impact, and choosing organic can be part of the solution. Organic food is produced with fewer pesticides, no artificial colours and preservatives, no GM ingredients – and when it comes to meat and dairy, no routine use of antibiotics, and always free range.
With more of us than ever now working from home, rustling up an organic breakfast can be an easy way to incorporate more planet-friendly food into what we eat every day. This Organic September, why not give it a go? This bircher muesli recipe is hearty, delicious, and happily, most of the prep is done the night before.
Apple & Almond Bircher Muesli – Ingredients:
- 1 organic eating apple, roughly grated
- 100g organic porridge oats
- 3 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 100g organic full-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 handful of whole, unsalted organic almonds
- 1 handful of organic blueberries
- 2 tsp organic almond butter
Apple & Almond Bircher Muesli – Method:
- Put the grated apple in a bowl and add the oats and cinnamon.
- Stir in the yogurt and a dash of cold water, cover and chill for several hours or overnight.
- In the morning, spoon the muesli mix into two bowls and top each bowl with whole almonds and blueberries, 1 tsp of almond butter, and a few slices of freshly cut apple.
- Serve immediately.