For home growers, kitchen gardeners and those with allotments, eating seasonally happens automatically. But for the rest of us, it can be a bit more of a mystery.
In these regular, monthly blog posts I’ll try to demystify it a bit by sharing what’s in season now – and where in Cardiff to find it.
SO WHAT’S IN SEASON THIS MONTH?
- On the fruit front, look out for UK apples, pears (my fave!) and quince.
- Veg-wise, look for UK potatoes, sprouts, cabbage, carrots cauliflower, kale, leeks, artichoke, beetroot, Jerusalem artichoke, parsnip, pumpkin, swede and turnip.
- And when it comes to meat and fish, look out for goose, guinea fowl, hare, rabbit and venison.
SEASONAL EATS TO TRACK DOWN CARDIFF THIS NOVEMBER
If you’re the type of person who prefers to let someone else take care of the cooking (and the washing up), these seasonal dishes* are all worth tracking down before the month is out (*not an exhaustive list, obviously!).
1. Sullivan’s Pumpkin Veg Box
Rumour has it that Sullivans are helping the pumpkin patch in the Vale get rid of their excess stock which (left over as they were only able to open to locals during the Welsh firebreak lockdown). I saw this pretty box on Instagram thanks to my friend Bee, and as pumpkins will keep for ages, I had to bag myself a bunch. Pumpkin curry for days in this house!
2. Nook’s Winter Vegetable Hash
This is my wet weather day brunch of dreams – winter vegetable hash with carrots, sprouts and kale, topped with soft poached eggs, smoked paprika and marmite.
3. The Heathcock’s stuffed rabbit leg
This stuffed rabbit leg, with mustard and bitter leaves is on the lunch menu at the Heathcock at the moment. A grand excuse to get away from your desk for an hour one day this month.
4. The Lazy Leek’s Cauli Power burger
Southern fried cauliflower and ALL the vegan trimmings; these guys consistently whack out the best-looking vegan burgers in Cardiff.
And if you’re planning on rustling up some seasonal eats at home, this simple recipe for baked onions from veggie chef Anna Jones looks like Autumn perfection.