For home growers, kitchen gardeners and those with allotments, eating seasonally happens automatically. But for the rest of us, it can be a bit more of a mystery.
In these regular, monthly blog posts I’ll try to demystify it a bit by sharing what’s in season now – and where in Cardiff to find it.
SO WHAT’S IN SEASON THIS MONTH?
- On the fruit front, look out for UK apples, pears (my fave!) and quince (did someone say cheeseboard?)
- Veg-wise, look for UK potatoes, sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, kale, leeks, artichoke, beetroot, Jerusalem artichoke, parsnip, pumpkin (and other British squash), swede and turnip.
- And when it comes to meat and fish, look out for goose, guinea fowl, hare, rabbit and venison.
SEASONAL EATS TO TRY THIS NOVEMBER
If you’re the type of person who prefers to let someone else take care of the cooking (and the washing up), I wholeheartedly recommend giving Waterloo Tea‘s new Autumn Salad a go; it’s made with roasted beets, kale, lentil, apple, cranberry and a hibiscus tea vinaigrette.
Or if you’re planning on rustling up some seasonal eats at home, try:
- My simple spiced squash soup with chickpea croutons
- This rich vegetarian ragu with quorn
- The Tidy Kitchen’s Vegan Beetroot Wellington
Finally, this simple recipe for baked onions from veggie chef Anna Jones looks like Autumn perfection.