If you’ve been trying to eat more seasonal, local produce, then this is the blog series for you. Each month I try to demystify ‘seasonal eating’ with some simple info on what’s in season, and some ideas for how to cook it.
SO WHAT’S IN SEASON IN THE UK IN FEBRUARY?
Look out for UK-grown Apples, Beetroot, Brussels Sprouts, Carrots, Celeriac, Chicory, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kale, Leeks, Mushrooms, Onions, Parsnips, Pears, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Red Cabbage, Salsify, Savoy Cabbage, Spring Greens, Spring Onions, Squash, Swedes, and White Cabbage.
On the fish front, go for sustainably sourced Mackerel, Scallops (hand dived), Oysters, Clams, Mussels, Pollock, Bream and Whiting.
Wild duck, hare, and venison is also in season now.
SIX SEASONAL RECIPES TO TRY THIS MONTH
As it looks like we won’t be able to eat out properly for a long while yet…
- BBC Good Food’s Mussels with Tomato & Chilli
- My Welsh Mac ‘n’ Cheese with Leeks & Kale
- Riverford’s Linguine with Mushrooms & Parmesan
- My Simple Spiced Squash Soup with Chickpea Croutons
- Olive Magazine’s Venison with Stir Fried Sprouts
- Lazy Cat Kitchen’s Vegan Bourguignon with Celeriac Mash
What seasonal ingredients / dishes will you be cooking this month? Let me know in the comments below, or come for a chat on social at @hungrycityhippy.