Want to eat meat, but care about how it’s been produced? Here is a handy list of the best places to find high-welfare meat on the menu in Cardiff. I’ve done the research so you don’t have to!
- Bar44 – The team behind this gorgeous, local chain of tapas restaurants say their meat is ‘impeccably sourced’; from using rare breed pigs for their pork, to ex-dairy herd 12 yr old cows for their beef.
- Dirty Bird – great finger lickin’ and free range fried chicken from this pop-up street food van has been overshadowed somewhat by their interesting logo.
- Dusty Knuckle – These guys are so passionate about ethical food they even went on a fundraising pilgrimage to Naples in the name of Slow Food International. The Times also called them one of the 25 top pizza restaurants in the UK.
- Jamie’s Italian – Hearty Italian food from this restaurant chain owned by the main man himself, using free range chicken, and high welfare pork and beef. Menu changes seasonally.
- Lola’s Wings – another pop-up, these guys travel throughout the UK serving American style, free-range chicken wings and various sides.
- Pie Minister – Trendy Bristolian chain restaurant specialising in yummy free range meat pies (oh and there’s veggie ones and ‘lighter’ 440 calorie ones too). Big focus on sustainability. Beautiful contemporary designed interior, and they do take away too.
- Slow Pig – Another pop-up sensation, cooking up an ever changing menu of pork dishes made with meat from their very own herd of free-range woodland pigs. LOVE these guys.
- Shake Shack – Didn’t expect to have these guys on the list – a nice surprise! This American burger chain is rumoured to be Obama’s favourite, and the Cardiff one was the first UK one outside London. They also use free-range bacon, Neals Yard organic cheeses and Jimmy’s Farm sausages – fab!
- Spit & Sawdust – All of the food at this cafe is homemade, they source their meat from local farmers who look after their animals and give them plenty of outside space to roam free. All of their eggs are free-range and they use organic and local produce as much as possible. Not bad for a skate park!
- The Stable – Established in 2009 in Bridport, this mini chain of restaurants is steadily growing, with the latest now in Cardiff. Loads of free-range chicken and local, Trealy Farm produce on the menu which is centred around pizzas and pies. Oh, and proper cider.
- The Potted Pig – Focusing on seasonal menus and locally sourced products, this much-loved restaurant is situated in what used to be a bank vault. Try the free-range Pork Belly.
- Wahaca – Fresh, exciting Mexican street-food, made using higher-than-average welfare meat and sustainable fish – they’ve even picked up awards for their high-welfare chicken & pork.
Like this? You might also like: